I can’t believe I finished this*: finished isn't the right word. I suffered it. Why bother if it’s that bad?, you might ask. Well, I'm stubbornly, pedantically, a non-DNFer.
Tedious. Laborious. Mind-numbingly boring. Plotless, with a vague and unsatisfying ending. (See About the Book below.)
The two main characters are equally unengaging with not an ounce of personality between them: one a spoilt, lazy, rich kid, the other a socially awkward, robotic, rich kid. Together, after a few years in the finance industry, they start their own tidal-energy business.
Alexander Starritt is undeniably a very articulate writer, but polished prose can't save a novel that is double the length it needs to be. The dialogue is flat, every character is unrelatable, and then there was one other irritation: why does a British author use American spelling?
I'm now prescribing myself a few fast-paced thrillers to recover from this slow, joyless slog.
I'm sorry, Mr Starritt. This simply wasn't my cup of tea.
*Provided by NetGalley


No comments:
Post a Comment