Search This Blog

Sunday 10 July 2022

Daisy Darker by Alice Feeney

 

The description of this book is slightly deceiving: the blurb implies this is a thriller murder. Which, in fairness, it is…until it becomes a cross between Midsomer Murders, Agatha Christie and The Sixth Sense. At that latter point, I was less enthusiastic about it.

Feeny is not an author I'm familiar with; this is the first book I've read by her, and I was very impressed by her style. There is no doubt she can write very well, but this story crossed, without warning, to the paranormal.

Whilst the characters are interesting and well portrayed, none…not one (apart from Poppins the dog perhaps) is in the slightest bit likeable, not even the main character (and narrator) Daisy Darker. I want at least one character to hang my 'like' hat on in my books.

However, I did find myself compelled to read on, and I was certainly drawn into the story, but I felt a bit cheated by the slightly ridiculous twist. I was also rather frustrated by the author's and/or editor's ignorance of the differences between irony and sarcasm, 'lay' and 'lie' and…oh, woe is me…'less' and fewer'. New editor required.

Although I didn't gel a hundred per cent with the turn this story took, in all fairness, it was ninety-five-per-cent enjoyment and I'll definitely seek out more by this author.





No comments:

Post a Comment