Search This Blog

Saturday 15 January 2022

Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris


I'd never heard of Sedaris, but this book came up as 'What book makes you laugh?' in a magazine Q&A with another well-known writer. I was reading a beautiful, but very sad book at the time and thought this would be an excellent book to dip into from time to time, if the sadness got a bit too much!

Hmm. 'Sedaris takes us on side-splitting adventures' says the blurb. I have to disagree. It's a book of essays, accounts of his travels around the world. He certainly has a very wry sense of humour, and I did smile from time to time, but I did find his writing a tad unsettling. He comes across as a rather angry, irritable, unforgiving, oh-so-anti-Obama and oh dear, a teensy bit racist (or is that like saying you're a bit pregnant?). And while, for the most part, his observations of customs and people in other countries are fairly amusing, they come over more as a bit of a poke rather than observations. Which I thought a bit rich from an American: Americans who (as I gather from Sedaris) have an unnatural propensity for therapists, colonoscopies and gun possession. I found it all a bit pot-kettle-black.

But…ultimately, I did enjoy dipping into it. Sedaris's aim was to entertain, and entertained I was. Not 'side-splittingly', but certainly enough to make the sides of my mouth twitch to a faint smile.

Am I tempted to explore his other books? Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment