Search This Blog

Sunday 9 May 2021

Bad by Chloé Esposito

 

Oh good lord. What was this? Bad, that's what. Really, really bad. Puerile writing, bad characters, bad plot. Described on Amazon as 'a gripping, dark and outrageously funny thriller'. Don't be ridiculous. It isn't in the least bit funny…the sides of my mouth didn't even twitch. Dark…perhaps. Gripping? Not in the least…other than wanting to see if the whole thing could get any more pathetic and stupid.

The main protagonist, Alvie, is awful. When I say 'awful', I mean completely and utterly ghastly. Selfish, greedy, irresponsible, impolite, discourteous, disrespectful…oh, I could go on…I'll just add that she's a sociopathic slut, too.

She kills her twin sister, Beth. And Beth's husband. And Beth's lover. And her lover's 'business' partner. And a stalker. And a nun. And a police officer. And his colleagues. So much fun! Oh, and I mustn't forget, 'outrageously funny'.

Badly written, inane plot, dreadful and undeveloped characters. And for heaven's sake, if you're going to pepper the dialogue with a foreign language (in this case, Italian), get someone to check it. That's it, I'm leaving it there. I wasted time reading the book, it deserves no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment