Search This Blog

Saturday 20 April 2019

The Other Woman by Sandie Jones


There's nothing original about this plot. It's been done before many times, in novels, in TV dramas: girl finds Mr Perfect, but mum-in-law-to-be is a possessive, evil bitch, who will go to jaw-dropping lengths to ensure her Supernova son will never belong to anyone else. It's a tried and tested format, and Jones tackles it competently in this, her debut novel. However, committed though I was, eager to find out how Emily would detach Adam from his mother's, Pammie's, vice-like grip, I found the ending was a little far-fetched and a bit of a let-down. The methods Pammie employs are totally disproportionate to the reasons for them.

Pammie's manipulation is very clever and strategic, making it very hard for Emily to convince others. I couldn't help thinking, though, 'Emily, you have a twenty-first-century phone, record your vitriolic conversations between you and Pammie.' That would have put the kibosh on all Pammie's plotting. But then, I guess, the story would have run out of steam.

I won't give the editor any stars, either: apostrophes to pluralise words is an editorial sin, an 'I was sat' (aarrgghh!), one too many instances of 'there's' which should have been there are, along with...'for asking Kate and I'. For I??? Naughty, naughty.

Despite all the negatives, the rather stereotypical characters and the misnomer of a 'thriller', it's quite well written, and strangely, rather addictive.


AMAZON UK
AMAZON US

No comments:

Post a Comment