Search This Blog

Friday 21 October 2011

Doodling by Jonathan Gould

BUY-UK
BUY-US
This is one of those short stories you read from start to finish with a big smile across your face……it was quirky, funny, imaginative, oddball and ingenious.

What do you do when everything in life is going too quickly for you? The world seems to be making you run too fast and you just want to shout, 'Stop the world, I want to get off'? You do exactly what Neville did.  You just get off.  Yes, you read correctly, you just get off the world, it couldn't be simpler.  Indeed there are minor details to attend to – you have to find somewhere to live and goodness me, there are some jolly strange asteroids out there with all sorts of bizarre and eccentric people on them.  Not only that, while you are asteroid-hunting, you certainly don't suddenly want to find yourself having to find a way to stop the world escaping its orbit and hurtling into the asteroid field.

There are so many delightful elements to this short story, if I explained them all it would give far too much away.  I will say, though, that it's uplifting and entertaining, and it's a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours in the company of toasterless inhabitants of an asteroid (have you any idea what it's like to live without a toaster?), a young lady who wants a book but can't read and I'm still wondering when I can go and celebrate the unmissable Venezuelan Alpaca Milking festival.  Not only that, I'd love to put my finger on Everest's tip and give the world a gentle nudge. 


This is probably beginning to sound like I've had a glass too many of the red stuff…..to find out whether this makes any sense, I advise you to be magically entertained for an hour or two with Neville and his asteroid-resident friends. You will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment