Search This Blog

Friday 26 August 2011

Kiwi in Cat City by Vickie Johnstone


I don’t normally read children’s books (!), but as I was given an opportunity to review this, I decided a little light entertainment wouldn’t come amiss.  And entertain it did.
This is a delightful story and the author’s imagined Cat City was great fun.  The cats’ names were cute and cosy and life, as humans know it, was cleverly cat-adapted – milk from the drinks machine, catpads (best equivalent of electronic communication!) and fish-flavoured biscuits.
You don’t have to like cats to enjoy this story – the plot centres around getting to the bottom of catnapping (by cats, of course) – the mix of characters and how they are portrayed often make you forget that they are feline, from the members of the crime investigating cat force, to the wily perpetrators.
Whilst the story ends well (I’m not giving anything away here, it’s a children’s book, it has to end well!) you are left just a tad high and dry, but, thankfully, you are reliably informed that the story is ‘to be continued’……..thank goodness, or I shall worry about Amy and James….

My grandson is still very young, but I can’t wait till he is older, when I shall look forward to reading this to him very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment