Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 September 2024

The Girl in the Fire by Sarah K Stephens

 

This is certainly a gripping psychological thriller as the blurb promises, and yes, a page turner, told in alternate POVs (the two main protagonists) over two time periods.

The intrigue starts when a bride-to-be disappears only a few pages in. The mystery behind her disappearance then starts to unravel compellingly. It gets confusing, however: it's hard to grasp who's loyal to whom, the reasons for the actions of bad characters and why their victims suck it all up and seem to walk from one disaster into another. They seem to have plans to escape it all, but we never get to know exactly what they are and how they're going to achieve them.

I found myself enjoying this maze of intrigue, thinking, don't worry, it will be crystal clear by the end. I can't say it was. I was still scratching my head with unanswered questions, so I was left a little frustrated. I was equally frustrated by the many fiancé (male)/fiancée (female) mix-ups, even in the Amazon blurb (corrected below), along with a number of other editorial oversights.







No comments:

Post a Comment