Search This Blog

Wednesday 31 March 2021

Your Closest Friend by Karen Perry

My heart sinks when I open a book and the first line reveals present-tense narrative. I hate it. It's just, oh I don't know, so….narrow.

But, but, but, it soon…very soon…became apparent I jolly well had to get over myself because I was clawed in and gripped like a vice from the get-go.

Perry really knows how to tighten those tension screws after an explosive start, almost quite literally, when the story opens with a terrorist attack in London, and Cara finds herself saved from almost certain death by a stranger (Amy). It's not the near-death experience that then changes Cara's life forever. It's the secrets she shared with her saviour in the hours shielding themselves from the carnage outside. And what happens afterwards when she's home, safe and well...or so she thinks.

The story is narrated in the first person by Cara and Amy, alternately. It's a story of obsession, misunderstanding, deceit and lies, regrets, infidelity. Perry does an excellent job of keep you on the edge of your seat and then just when you think you can relax, pow!

Has this got all the right psychological thriller ingredients? Oh yes, with bells on. It has suspense, a fast pace, darkness, a good plot and, if, like me, you haven't read this author before, a motivation to read more by her. And….only a handful of errors, which, these days, is the best you can hope for.















No comments:

Post a Comment