Search This Blog

Monday 11 March 2013

Mr Bison's Journal by Edward Bison

BUY-UK
BUY-US
I loved this.  It’s Bill Bryson meets Billy Connolly.

The author, Edward Bison, is a Brit who has been living in America for about 10 years.  Although American-English has inevitably crept into his vocabulary, he certainly hasn’t lost his reins on his Britishness completely.  He takes a very wry and no-holds-barred look at anything from rewriting the odd fairy tale and American Airlines (one of my favourite anecdotes) to items people don’t need and bodily functions. The result is a very, very funny observational journal.

A word of warning or two, however…the language is…let's just call it meaty and quite ripe.  Some topics come under the not-for-the-dinner-table or ssshh-the-in-laws-are-here categories.  So anyone easily offended should take note!  Fortunately, I am not, or the loss would have been mine, but I have to say, Edward’s anecdotes just wouldn’t have been the same written in any other way. They are perfectly expressive just the way they are. Secondly, did I say it was very very funny?  It is, it’s hilarious, and my advice is not to read this in public.  Your attempts to smother your uncontrollable laughter will probably have bystanders reaching for their mobiles and calling for the men in white coats. 

I wish I had a pound for every time I said to myself ‘I must remember that one’ and turned each page eager and agog to discover what particular part of everyday life strikes this author’s cynical chords. 

Absolutely priceless.


3 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. Something which promises to make me laugh out loud can't be a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed Mr Bison's Journal Cathy. I did all the illustrations and there were times I had tears of laughter running down my face as I read what he had written! He is very rude but very funny!

    ReplyDelete