Search This Blog

Thursday 24 June 2021

Pieces of Her by Karin Slaughter

 

This is my first Karin Slaughter book, and I discovered, after reading this, she's a really busy lass! I chose one of three I had on my Kindle…it's a bit of a lucky dip, I reckon, when an author has written so many books. Did I choose the best one as an introduction? Will it encourage me to read more of this prolific writer? It seems I did choose well.

This is a fast-paced, psychological, crime thriller and gripping from the start with the tragically violent shooting in a café in which mother and daughter, Laura and Andrea, are caught. The event leads to an unfurling Andrea could never have imagined, leaving her to question just about every part of her mother's life. Laura's past explodes into the present like a grenade.

The characterisation is strong: characters to love, characters to hate, characters to pity, characters to admire. I have to admit Andrea is a tad irritating at the start: she's a bit…bland. Aimless, ambitionless, living in her mother's, Laura's, garage. At 31, she really makes you want to shake some life into her. But the attack in the café forces a turn of events that alters Andrea big time. Talk about character development!

Slaughter writes an exhilarating, addictive, suspenseful and unputdownable thriller. I'm already on my next one by this author!






No comments:

Post a Comment