Search This Blog

Thursday 6 September 2018

In the Blood by Ruth Mancini

This was a very compelling crime thriller. Totally unputdownable.

Sarah Kellerman, a criminal defence lawyer, is to defend, Ellie, accused of abuse and attempted murder of her young baby. All the evidence points to her guilt, but Sarah has trouble joining the dots in the case and is determined to find out what really happened, despite having to juggle the needs of raising her mentally disabled five-year-old son and the demands of a job that she desperately needs to provide for her and her son.


Despite my enjoyment of this book…and I really did enjoy it…I felt that the present tense narrative didn’t work. I also felt the first-person POV didn’t work: there were a couple of complex characters who needed their own POV, I thought.


But, this was an extremely competently written novel, and Sarah was brilliantly portrayed, with passion and conviction by the author. I didn’t find it hard to guess the role of two of the major players quite early on, but wow, it was a gripping roller coaster of ups, downs, twists and turns before we got to the end.


A thoroughly satisfying, well-written thriller. I’m very definitely going to read more by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment